Maybe you have this holiday week off, or maybe you’re just enjoying a little come down after a jam-packed month of parties, shopping, pageants or religious observances.
I love the holidays — taking down the Christmas tree is one of my least favorite days of the year — but feels like many of us have let out a small sigh of relief that the busy, indulgent weeks are coming to a close.
In case you’re enjoying your first chance to do some reading in a while, here’s a sampler platter of some Newvine Growing posts you might have missed.
People and profiles
- Ari Weinzweig, lapsed anarchist, shares the business philosophies of food mecca Zingerman’s
- Edible magazines grew from desire for more from life (a profile of founder Tracey Ryder)
- Brook Eddy’s trip to India leads to journey as entrepreneur
- Larry Kirshbaum on the transition from publishing bigwig to literary entrepreneur
- Lou Rosenfeld on redefining his career and emulating Bob Dylan
- H.T. Riekels the alcoholic is dead
New Year’s resolutions and life goals
- Decide what you want and declare it in no uncertain terms
- My vision board as a painting by my artist husband, John Tebeau
- Giving yourself permission to be a beginner
- Chris Brogan’s story of a builder and a shaky foundation
- The myth of discipline — a repost from Zen Habits
- What makes resolutions achievable?
- Silencing your inner critic
- How should we gauge happiness?
- The relationship between work, home and happiness
- Martin Seligman, author of “Authentic Happiness,” now wants us to flourish
- Reblog from David Chaitt: Don’t compare yourself to others
Relationships and marriage
- Lucy and Ricky beds might help your marriage
- 10 marriage lessons learned in 10 years of marriage
- Marriage tips from 10 years of marriage, part II
- Apparently I was learning marriage concepts in business school?
- Cooking dinner for someone is a great way to deepen your relationship
- Woody Allen on the merits of practicing and New Orleans jazz
- Babies know it feels good to dance. Why do grown ups forget?
- 5 life lessons learned from beginner piano lessons
- Musical role models in strong, soulful ladies
- Katrina spurred me to visit – and fall in love with – New Orleans
Business and the economy
- Guest post by Christine Kane: Does Your Business Squeeze the Joy Out of Your Passion?
- Vote with your wallet and help your fave businesses through the recession
- Is the sagging economy leading people to entrepreneurship?
- Let’s take control of email by taking a breath before hitting “send”
- Retirement might not make you stress free